Happy Thursday Friends!
Any big weekend plans?
I am heading to Syracuse tomorrow for a meeting on Saturday. On Saturday afternoon, Farmer Ben and I start vacation! I am SO looking forward to taking some time off. We will be visiting family, resting, and sleeping in. After almost a year of being out straight, I am totally ready.
Anyway, moving on….
I was scrolling through Instagram this morning and I have to be honest… I was bored. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE Instagram and it’s really the only form of social media that I keep up with on a daily basis (I don’t use Facebook or Snapchat and Twitter is just downright overwhelming!).
I follow some amazing accounts but there seems to be a lot of monotony in my feed lately. Maybe this means it’s time for an insta-cleanse? Perhaps.
Now… I’m not saying that my own Instagram feed is perfect, because it’s definitely not. I’m so guilty of posting things that other people find super annoying (see: post-run selfies, #bigasssalads and pictures of my bulletproof coffee and eggs).
That being said, it got me thinking about the things that drive me most crazy….So, here are the top five posts (in no particular order) that I am totally over!
- Pancakes, specifically protein pancakes. I’m sorry, but there are only so many things you can do to a pancake to make it look interesting. Do I enjoy eating them? Yes. Do I want to see 123435431341341 pictures of them? No.
- It Works anything. Come on! We get it… you love being an independent distributor, blah blah blah! Also, telling me that the wraps and vitamins will help me get a body like yours, when I’ve known you since birth and you’ve always had a super model physique is not convincing me to buy your product. Sorry. It doesn’t work like that (see what I did there?).
- Smoothie Bowls. My apologies, but I don’t get the appeal. If I’m going to drink a smoothie, I want it in a glass. Otherwise, it’s just a sad pretend version of ice cream.
- Pictures of you doing a handstand. Is it awesome that you can do a handstand, heck yes! I cannot do one… Do I want to see you doing a handstand not once, not twice, but three times a day? No. There are only so many ways to make this interesting.
- Negativity. I get it, sometimes you have trouble squeezing into your jeans, or you spill your coffee, you get in a fight with your significant other or you are just having a no-good-rotten day. But taking a completely unrelated picture or using a selfie to complain about your life, your looks or to berate your spouse on the internet? Come on. You’re better than that.
This is all meant in good fun… and totally not serious. Except maybe the protein pancakes.
Let’s chat! What drives you crazy on Instagram?!
Also, linking up with Amanda at Running With Spoons for today’s Thinking Out Loud Post….check out some of the other posts! Thanks to Amanda for hosting the link-up!
Happy Friday! Not gonna lie, it’s been a while! Let’s catch up!
I finally crossed over to the dark side and got an iPhone a couple of weeks ago. In all honesty, I had been thinking about it for a while (since August/September) but my poor old phone was finally on its last legs, so I gave in and made the switch.
Anyway, I thought it would be fun to show you some pictures I’ve taken in the 2 weeks since switching phones. I have to say, the camera on this phone is WAY better than my old one and I LOVE that. I also love that I can take screen shots(as you’ll notice!)…I know… I’m like 2341343 years late to the screenshot party. It’s fine.
What you’ll find:
- My friends’ excitement over my finally switching to the iPhone.
- Final grade in the last class I took (So pumped about getting that A!)
- Screenshot of some books I recently added to my Kindle library
- Food (Lots of food)
- Chocolate (the BEST chocolate for baking)
- Farmer Ben (my favorite person) and I freezing our butts off at a youth retreat
- The not-too-shabby view at said youth retreat. Still freezing.
- Screenshot of my workout summary on Map My Run
- Some books I ordered and am excited to dig into (both for class and for pleasure)
- A page I really liked in my reading for the class I just finished.
(Click on the collage to see individual photos)
That’s all I have for today! Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!
What are you taking pictures of lately? Screenshots? Let me know! (I’m really nosey like that and am dying to know!)
Just stopping in to say “Happy Independence Day!”
Last night, Farmer Ben and I practiced our right to grill and had a pretty delicious meal of chicken hot dogs, vegan beer brats (I’ve been really digging Tofurky brand sausages lately-Ben thinks I’m such a weirdo!), zucchini, radishes, scallions and hot sauce-dipped pineapple.
Everything was delicious… but we probably went a bit overboard for two people (We also had cheese and baguette).
Luckily, I have lots of leftovers to eat while Farmer Ben is feeding the masses today. I may have eaten some for breakfast, paired with some iced mango-black tea I found at Trader Joe’s earlier this week.
Honestly, I can’t complain about this day one bit… it started with delicious food and some quiet time before doing some work. That feels like a total win!
Anyway, remember to take a moment to thank those who serve and protect our freedom today!
Have a safe and happy holiday!
What are you doing to celebrate the 4th?
Hope you all had a great weekend, I certainly did!
I snuck away to visit the family in Horseheads, NY and let me say, it was so fun (even though Farmer Ben was missing)!
Anyway, here is a brief peek inside my trip… I was a terrible blogger and didn’t take as many pictures as I should have.
I did manage to remember to take pictures at the Horseheads Brewing Co., great beers, great staff. If you are in the area, try the ” hot chocolate,” a mix of their jalapeño ale and chocolate porter!
That’s all for today! Enjoy!
Dinner and dessert, my brother-in-law’s latest craft-cigar box guitars!, Horseheads brewing company randoms and more eats.
Can you believe February is over?
I realize that things have been a little quiet on the blog as of late, but I can assure you that I’ve been running, eating delicious things, spilling stuff on myself and being a weirdo, per usual.
I’ve spent the last two weeks doing some major race planning items. I had a planning meeting last Friday and pestered a bunch of local businesses whenever I had any free time…Seriously, I glanced at the list I have and it appears that we have already contacted over 130 businesses…. not too shabby for January and February!
I also got the official word that Clif will be sending us some sample size bars for the race! That will be in addition to a ton of other goodies we’ll be getting…. I’m so excited about this, I can barely handle it!
In other news, I am absolutely loving my new running shoes. I’m sad because they’ve gotten a little dirty with all of the mud/rain we’ve had….but it’s fine. They’ve even helped motivate me to go out and run on my lunch break a few days last week.
Wednesday, I talked Farmer Ben into meeting me for a lunch run (on his day off), even though it was so cold that my face hurt and we could barely breathe! We only ended up doing a little over two miles but it was well worth it.
As we started running, he looked over at me and said, “Noelle, you are my ONLY motivation for being out here right now.”
That comment had me smiling for the rest of the run and the rest of the day!
I know he was trying to be funny… but, seriously? Swoon! I love that guy!
It got me thinking about what my motivation is. I’ve discussed this before, so I won’t go into great detail, but I’d love to hear what motivates you…especially on your “I don’t want to do this!” days.
So, let’s discuss, what is YOUR motivation for getting out and running…even when it’s so cold that it makes your face hurt?
I don’t know about you, but I am getting sick of this snow! Getting to work was a bit rough this morning (luckily Farmer Ben drove me).
Life has been crazy and I’ve been a bad blogger-my apologies!
In other news, Happy Valentine’s Day!
Doing anything special? We don’t normally do much, but I couldn’t resist doing something cheesy….So, I sent the hubby a meatball pizza at work….meatballs in a heart shape.
He loved it! I’m so glad, because he’s pretty great… and he got to share the love with his coworkers!
That’s all for today… Have a great weekend!
Best Valentine you’ve given? Received?!
I cannot tell you how ecstatic I am that today is Friday…. even though I got suckered into working at job number 2 tomorrow night with the dreaded stairs (my calves are going to be ten times bigger than they already are in a couple of weeks!). This week took a lot out of me and I so looking forward to sleeping past 7:00 am. Isn’t that such a glorious feeling?
Anyway, here are five random facts for your reading pleasure:
1. Strides for James is taking over my life… and I am kind of okay with that… I’ve mentioned it before, but this is something very close to my heart and it’s a great way to give back to the community. I’m also super excited because we are getting a post-race chocolate milk donation. For the win!!!
2.I’m wondering if there is any topic that you’d like to see more of/featured more in-depth on Noelle’s Notebook… I have this slightly-larger-than-the-blog project (idea) that I’m kicking around…but I want to know that it’ll be something people are interested in. So, any input is totally welcome! Help a girl out!
2a. To go along with said project, I want to do an “ask me anything” post/series (depending on how many questions I get).
So, if you could do me a huge favor and asking me ANY of your burning questions in the comments below, I’d be forever grateful, and will be answering all questions next week. Many thanks!
3. I am STILL doing my planks and push-ups every day… I think this is the longest/most consistent I’ve ever been with sticking to one of these challenges. It makes me feel so accomplished and I can see a little more definition!
4. I don’t remember what it’s like to have long hair. In related news, I recently had a co-worker tell me he doesn’t remember me with long hair either (who has worked with me for the last 3+ years)… so I dug up this photo….
Weird. Weird. Weird. Long or short?
5. Current Guilty Pleasure: Rum Caramel Chocolate bar from Lake Champlain chocolates… our co-op always stocks Lake Champlain chocolate but they never seem to have this kind. I hit the jackpot the other day while shopping for my foodie penpal… I sent her one and took one home to share with Farmer Ben…and I’ll probably be going back to check and see if they have more. Pricey but so worth it.
6. Bonus Fact. I got an email from a friend today with this verse and I just had to share it with you all…food for thought:
“…From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.” -Luke 12:48, NIV
Now it’s your turn: Current guilty pleasures? Long hair or short?
Don’t forget to ask me anything!
First, sorry if you follow me by email… I prematurely hit the publish button… I don’t know why I have so many problems with this lately! Haha!
Anyway, I mentioned that Farmer Ben whisked me off to Burlington last weekend. We haven’t ventured across the lake in a few months, so we were long overdue…
Even though we were only there for a few hours, it was AMAZING! Sometimes that’s all you need to feel ready to take on the new week!
We headed out mid-morning and decided to hop on the ferry….
It was a beautiful day!!!
Once we got to Burlington, we knew that there was one place we had to go.
The Farmhouse Tap & Grill–Shocker… I know…
Here’s where the food came from:
Here’s what we ate:
Cider and Spicy Blood Mary with assorted pickled veggies (have I mentioned how much I love a good Bloody Mary?!)
House Eggs Benedict with local ham and braised kale, served with a side of greens and a hash brown.
House Made Hash and Eggs with dressed greens (OHMIGAWD THIS WAS GOOD!)
Per usual, brunch was amazing. We left feeling good and full…but not grossly full.
After brunch, we roamed around Church Street and did some window shopping… And got some hot chocolate from Lake Champlain Chocolate….
I got mint chocolate and Ben got a spicy Aztec cocoa… his was REALLY good… not that mine wasn’t…but I liked his better! haha!
After meandering around, we headed to Healthy Living to pick up more delicious things…and then headed home.
We had a really great Sunday…
Let’s chat: How was your weekend? Favorite brunch item? Hot chocolate, yes or no?
Oh hey! It’s officially 2014… I won’t get used to writing/typing 2014 until June…but it’s fine…
Anyway, I figured I should give you all one last look at how my 2013 goals were accomplished. I’ll keep it short and sweet, I promise!
Noelle’s (Re-Re-Updated) List of Things to do before December 31, 2013:
1. Create a logo for the blog and go self-hosted.
Fail. That’s all.
2. Excel in my job.
I think for the most part, I do my job pretty darn well, but I’m still learning a lot… so I’ll call this one about 85%…..
3. Make 2013 a “Yes!” year/7. Be more present.
Yes. I killed this one.
5. Take more time to read.
Again, killed it.
4. Run a half marathon/6. Run 26.2 miles.
Half Marathon-I still haven’t raced it…but I’ve run it.
Marathon-Done. So we’ll call this even.
8. Pay off at least one big bill–Get better about saving money.
Didn’t happen… 2013 was the year of random things that come up and shot our budget to Hades AND realizing that we really need an emergency fund.
2014 will be the year of actually having an emergency fund (We’re 75% of the way to our EF goal!) and being able to handle those budget killers.
On the plus side, I upped my 401k contribution and Farmer Ben started his retirement fund at work in 2013…so it wasn’t all bad!
9. Do 100 Burpees in a row.
Nope…. I can probably do about 30 without stopping…maybe 40 if I am feeling like a boss.
10. Do more food-ing.
Told you that it would be short and sweet… I’d say I did well… granted, I failed miserably at two of my goals…but I definitely learned something from most of these challenges. And of the few that I didn’t accomplish, we are better prepared for them this year.
2013 was a good year, but 2014 will be better… I’ve got big plans for this year and can’t wait to fill you in along the way!
Now it’s your turn! How did you do with your goals for 2013? Anything you’re still struggling with? OR, do you have any advice for 2014?! Let me know!
Hi friends! Happy 2014!
How did you celebrate?
I spent New Year’s Eve working both jobs and spent yesterday (mostly) in bed, trying to kick this nasty head cold… today, I am back at work, drinking Kombucha and a fruit smoothie, in hopes that I’ll be back to normal in the next day or so…
Let’s get started!
#1. Would you rather run in a thunderstorm or a snowstorm? I’d say thunderstorm…there’s something so freeing about running in the rain and I feel like a bad-ass… not that I mind snow… but rain is better.
#2. Would you rather breathe through your nose or breathe through your mouth? I do both, depending on the day…. today, I’m a mouth breather…. yuck.
#3. Would you rather do 100 squats or 100 crunches? [Now take a break and go do them. ;)] I’m going to go with 100 crunches.
#4. Would you rather have a baked good for dessert or an extra serving of your favorite entree? Extra serving of my favorite entrée…. unless it’s really good chocolate cake (and I am picky about my chocolate cake).
#5. Would you rather run on a treadmill for an hour or run around the same street block for an hour? I’d pick running around the same street block…I HATE the treadmill.
#6. Would you rather have a headache during a run or a side stitch? Headache….I think.
#7. Would you rather have a rest day on a work day or a day off? I’d say probably a day off…but I normally end up doing my rest days on a work day…. weird.
#8. Would you rather be a race director or a race volunteer? I’ve done both… I love being a race director and am currently in the process of planning Strides for James 2014. It’s so rewarding and I love getting to meet/keep in touch with so many people in the community–both runners and volunteers!
#9. Would you rather spend your money on running gadgets [HRM, GPS watch, Headphones] or running shoes? Running shoes… I’m not a huge gadget person.
#10. Would you rather run in a relay or do the run portion of a distance triathlon? Run a relay…Ragnar Relay, anyone?!
What about you?! How would you answer these questions? What’s your best “would you rather…” question?