I finished Eat & Run by Scott Jurek.
Awesome book. Great story-telling, interesting (and tasty!) recipes. Great information. In all honesty, I probably would have finished it in a day or two, but my schedule hasn’t allowed for much down time…regardless, I enjoyed it…I’ll probably end up buying this book.
Am I going to immediately go vegan now that I’ve read it? No.
But I will be adding a lot of his recipes to my current rotation. Scott’s “Holy Moly Guacamole?!” Anytime, anywhere. I whipped up a batch the other night…Farmer Ben and I had devoured it by the next day!
After last night’s run, I made a little refresher Scott named the “Coco Rizzo Cooler.”
This drink is surprisingly light and not-too sweet with just a hint of coconut. The chia seeds add a fun texture. Scott recommends this for before, after or during a long run. I don’t know if I’d drink it during…but it is tasty for an after run treat. It’s got some really good stuff in it!
I had a serving this morning in place of my usual coffee pick-me-up.
The really good thing about this is that it’s great on it’s own…but I can see it being equally delicious with a variety of other ingredients (crushed ice and rum, maybe?)…experiment!
It’s not very pretty, but it’s fun!
Anyway, I didn’t have the exact ingredients…so here’s my version:
Coco Rizzo Cooler
Adapted from Eat & Run
What you’ll need:
- 1 cup plain cooked rice (I used jasmine)
- *1 cup almond-coconut milk (I always get Blue Diamond’s Unsweetened Variety)
- 3 cups water
- 2 tbsp. agave nectar or maple syrup
- 2 tbsp. chia seeds
*The original recipe called for coconut milk… either way, be sure to read the label. Buy the milk, NOT the drink.
What to do:
- Combine all ingredients except the chia seeds in a blender. Blend until completely smooth. (I had a few chunky bits because I overfilled my blender and had the beginnings of a Coco Rizzo disaster…oops.)
- Pour into a large container that has an airtight lid (I used two giant mason jars), add the chia seeds and give it a good shake.
- Keep refrigerated. Serve chilled and shake again before drinking.
Can be poured into a glass or bottle, if you are on the run. Makes 4-5 servings.