I made ricotta cheese. Yeah, put that in your spoon and eat it…. seriously, this stuff is delicious! I’m pleading with you to make this ASAP.
I used the Smitten Kitchen Ricotta Recipe. I love Deb because she makes you feel like you can conquer the world with whatever you’re making…granted this was a whole heck of a lot easier than I thought it was going to be, but her advice always helps. Plus, she reads every comment and is quick to answer reader questions and concerns. Super woman? I think so.
I didn’t have a thermometer so I ended up picking one up at the hardware store for about $8.00. It’s a meat thermometer but it works (side note: if you don’t have a thermometer, scroll down and read the comments section on the SK post, Deb gives a good description of what the milk should look like when at temperature).
I went with the 3 cups of whole milk, 1 cup of heavy cream combination and it did not disappoint. For the lemon juice, I just squeezed the juice from one lemon, so I may have had a little more, but it gave the cheese an awesome hint of zest. Heavenly. And none of those weird gums or stabilizers that they add to the store brand!
This recipe yielded a little over a cup. We are using it for lasagna, but I seriously had to talk myself out of just eating it by itself. It would also be scrumptious with a nice crusty bread.
So basically… I will never buy ricotta again. Life changed.
Although it is only Wednesday, I have come to a number of realizations this week. Super important stuff, let me tell you.
1. Don’t wear a sweater to the second job on Trivia Night. It gets way too hot.
2. Don’t drink coffee while wearing a white scarf.
3. I really need to stop forgetting my hat and gloves.
4. Breakfast makes life so much better.
5. So does homemade bread.
6. Annie’s Mac and Cheese is delicious when substituting Greek Yogurt for milk. New obsession? Probably.
7. I really want to make this Cheeseburger Salad.
8. And these Roasted and Shredded Beef Sandwiches.
9. I must consume this soup sometime soon (veggies and beans). For reals.
10. And these tacos (black beans and sweet potatoes), oh my sweet lord.
11. I think I am addicted to food blogs. Or just food. Maybe both. Help?
12. No matter where my media naranja is in the world, she totally gets me. ChocPBPretzels. Ugh!
13. My husband is at home baking bread right now. I am the luckiest woman on the planet.
14. As much as I am not a morning person, I love seeing the sunrise everyday on my way to work.
15. Lunges really kick my butt (ha).
That’s all for now!
Until next time….