You know that question you should never ask a woman unless you are completely sure?
You know? THAT question?
Well, this woman was asked that question yesterday.
I don’t know what to think about it, but here’s what happened:
I was at church. The hubby and I were sitting on a couch in the lobby, waiting for the teens to show up. An older gentleman that we see every week sat down and started chatting with us.
I mentioned that I was feeling tired (I had worked on Saturday night and didn’t sleep well).
“Oh, you’re tired? (He grinned) Are you going to be giving us some news?”
I didn’t get it, “What? What kind of news?”
“Oh,” he said, “well, my wife and I have been talking and she was saying she thought you’d be telling people that you were expecting soon.”
“Um… well, not that I’m aware of.” (Insert my jaw hitting the floor)
“Well, I thought you were saying you were tired because you were dropping a hint,” he said. “You know, you don’t want to say anything too soon…so I thought you were trying to give me a hint.”
Nervously laughing, I replied, “Well… If I was expecting, I think it would be a pretty big surprise to Ben and me… I’m just tired because I worked late last night.”
“Oh.” He paused for a moment, unsure what to say, “Well, when the time comes, at least you’ve been blessed with a great husband. That’s a huge thing.”
Nice save with the husband comment. Totally true. And I can imagine he was as mortified as I was for that mistake.
But I have to ask….
1. Why do people expect couples to start having babies right away?
Ben and I have been getting “so, when are you going to start a family?” for a long time (funny enough, this question comes from everyone but our families). Why do we have to rush? We haven’t even been married two years!
Honestly, it wouldn’t even be on our radar, except we’re asked this question all the time!
To put it simply, we aren’t ready. The fact that I even have to explain that is frustrating.
2. Does this mean I look like I am starting to show? Or is it ….something else?!
A few friends assured me it was the latter, but I’d be lying if I said that this didn’t bother me some. I’m going to chock it up to the age of the parties involved.
Let’s chat, have you ever gotten THAT question (or worse, made that mistake?!)? What did you do? What are your thoughts on marriage and babies?
PS. Second funny story: the same day, another man (who we see weekly at church) asked if I was the wife of Ben’s best friend…while Ben was standing two feet away…Really?!
Okay…I need to clear something up. Apparently one of my posts from last week caused quite a stir (as evidenced by my phone blowing up with texts and Facebook messages), so I have some explaining to do. I’m sorry I didn’t elaborate sooner, it just wasn’t the right time to do so yet.
Ben and I are having a baby. No. Totally kidding. We are, however, embarking on a new adventure.
Ben is starting as head chef at a new restaurant…it’s such a great opportunity for him and I am so excited and proud of him! Again, it wasn’t exactly expected, everything just sort of fell into place.
We’re also making plans for the next step/adventure. Those details are still a little foggy.
Now that that is cleared up (phew!), there are a few other things I am super excited and/or happy about.
- The restaurant I work at in the summer is finally open! It’s gotten a much-needed facelift, an updated menu and a super talented chef (see above). I am really excited to be working there again and seeing all of my regulars. It’s going to be a great summer!
- I sent out my foodie pen pal package! I can’t wait for Lauri in Texas to get her box full of Upstate NY/VT goodies!
- I should be getting my foodie package soon! I looooooooove mail!
- The Farmers’ Market is finally opening for the season!
- We have corn coming up in our garden. And beans. And lettuce!
- My friend Angela just moved to the area! We had dinner on Monday…I am so excited to hang out with her more.
- I had a great conversation with my friend Christina on Tuesday. I love knowing that my friends are doing well!
- I had a run/dinner/girls’ night with my friends Nessa and Tina. I am so social lately!
- It’s finally starting to feel like spring!
- I just noticed that I have used an exclamation point in every single bullet! !!!
- I got in a great walk at lunch today and am just itching to get out and run!
One last thing.
Happy belated birthday (it was yesterday…oops.) to my amazing Aunt Rayna! You are such a wonderful lady and an inspiration! Here’s to many more!
Over and out.